A Great Gatsby Reading
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I am getting a little too excited about Baz Luhrman’s upcoming Gatsby film. But I’m not alone. My bookclub is reading Fitzgerald’s novel in anticipation of the movie release next week. I found this gem of a video thanks to Cass (fellow bookclubber) who wanted to share Mario Testino’s amazing photographs of Carey Mulligan starring as Daisy. You get to see behind the scenes footage of Vogue’s photo shoot with Mulligan and even better, you get to hear her reading a selection from the book itself. Bravo Vogue.
Tom Shone’s accompanying article, Great Expectations: The Inimitable Carey Mulligan, is definitely worth a read. There were several quotes from cast and crew that portrayed they’d actually read the book, which I always appreciate. And beyond simply reading it, had a rich and embracing understanding of what could grow from the story.
For example, Luhrman says: Celebrity was just being born in the twenties, and Fitzgerald was fascinated with it. As simple as this statement is, it made me pause and think — he gets it; this is going to be fabulous. Maybe because what I take away from a Luhrman film is that he too is fascinated by the world and his creations issue forth from that fascination. So, if he and Fitzgerald are on the same page, perhaps he can accomplish on screen what Fitz accomplished on paper.
Baz Luhrman‘s over-the-top extravaganza approach paired with Gatsby glamour? Yes, please.
You still have time to read the book before the film comes out. It’s less than 200 pages. You can do it.
Gimme Some Gatsby
- Great Gatsby Giveaway – Win a Great Gatsby Penguin Books Pillow!
- F. Scott Fitzgerald Giveaway – Win an F. Scott Fitzgerald Literary Art Print!
- The Great Gatsby – Thoughts on hope and tragedy in the book.
- Wear the Gold Hat – What do you think of The Great Gatsby epigraph?
- Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby Makes the Myth into a Man | FILM
- Make Your Own Gatsby Art – Get crafty with Fitzgerald. | STYLE
- Sparkling Ginger Mint Julep – Cheers to Gatsby! | OVEN
This post contains affiliate links.