These Roasted Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Kale Bowls are easy to make ahead of time if you’d like (meal prep!), easy to customize with whatever veggies you have on hand, and they’re the perfect blend of sweet and savory delicious flavors.
Salad Bowl Ingredients:
- 1 batch Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas (see below)
- 6–8 cups roughly-chopped Lacinato or curly kale, tough stems removed
- (optional: 2 cups cooked farro or quinoa¹)
- 1 avocado**, peeled and pitted and sliced
- half a small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced or diced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- 1 batch Dreamy Tahini Dressing
Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas Ingredients:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each: garlic powder + ground cumin + smoked paprika
- pinch of cayenne
- Kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
To Make The Salad Bowls:
- Prepare the Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas as directed below. Then to save time, prep the remaining ingredients while the sweet potato mixture is roasting in the oven.
- Once the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are ready to go, add the kale to your serving bowl, or portion it evenly between your food storage containers. (Optional: add in the cooked farro, if you’d like.) Top evenly with the roasted sweet potato, chickpeas, avocado, red onion, dried cranberries, and pepitas. Then drizzle everything evenly with the dressing.
- Serve immediately, garnished with extra lemon slices/wedges if desired. Or store in sealed containers for up to 4 days.
To Make The Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas:
- Heat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add the sweet potatoes and chickpeas, and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle evenly with the garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika and cayenne, and toss until evenly combined.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture out onto the prepared baking sheet in an even layer. Then season everything evenly with a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are cooked through and soft. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack until ready to use.
¹ To make cooked farro, bring 3 cups of vegetable stock (or chicken stock, or lightly-salted water) to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add farro, and simmer for about 30 minutes until the farro is soft and chewy. Drain off any excess liquid, then serve. Or…here’s how to cook quinoa.
² If meal prepping these bowls ahead of time, wait to add the avocado until just before serving the bowls. It won’t hold up well in the fridge over multiple days.
I included some of the prep time in the cooking time listed above, since you can multitask it while the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are roasting. ;)