This “skinny” creamy chicken noodle soup is the perfect comfort food — lightened up!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles or pasta (I used “wide” egg noodles)
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated skim milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- (optional garnish) chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Saute onion, carrots, and celery for 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Sprinkle flour over vegetables, and cook and stir for an additional minute. Gradually stir in broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, and stir to combine. Cook for 10 minutes or until noodles are al dente. Season with additional salt and pepper or seasonings if needed.
- Serve warm, garnished with fresh parsley if desired.
Recipe slightly adapted from The Yummy Life.