This Spanish Chorizo Lentil Stew recipe is incredibly easy to make and full of the coziest savory flavors.
- 7 ounces Spanish chorizo (dry cured), diced
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 7 to 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup uncooked brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- chopped fresh chives, for topping
- Brown the chorizo. Cook the chorizo in a large stockpot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes (or until most of the fat has melted out). Transfer the chorizo to a plate lined with a paper towel. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the remaining fat and discard the rest.
- Sauté the veggies. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of chorizo fat in the same stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Simmer. Add 7 cups stock, lentils, potatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, cooked chorizo, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the stew reaches a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain the simmer. Cover and cook until the lentils and potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Season. Discard the bay leaf. If you would like a brothier stew, feel free to add in a bit of extra stock. Taste the soup and season with salt and black pepper as needed. (See note below below too if the soup seems too greasy at this point.)
- Serve. Serve warm, garnished with lots of chopped fresh chives.
How to skim off excess grease: If enough isn’t rendered out of the sausage in Step 1, a thin layer of grease may float to the top of the stew. If that’s the case, no prob. Just remove the stew from the heat (so that it is not simmering), gently drape a paper towel so that it lays flat on the surface of the soup (it will soak up the grease), then remove and discard the paper towel and repeat if necessary.