You will love this Spinach & Lemon Soup With Orzo Recipe! A delicious lemon-y comfort food that is quick and easy to prepare.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed or minced
- 1 large onion
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes (or more, depending on your taste)
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained of excess water
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 eggs
- Juice of 3 lemons (feel free to add this gradually to taste)
- fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped (to serve)
- freshly-grated Parmesan (to serve)
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven. Cook the garlic and onion over medium heat until fragrant and slightly translucent. Turn the heat to medium high and add the red pepper flakes, spinach, and orzo. Cook for about a minute, then add the broth.
- Bring to a light simmer, then turn the heat down and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the orzo is just barely tender. Take the soup off the heat and let it cool down for a moment or two.
- Whisk eggs vigorously in a largish bowl, then whisk in the lemon juice. Whisk for a couple minutes; the mixture should be thick, pale yellow, and creamy. Add a small ladleful of the soup broth to the eggs and whisk vigorously. (If you want to be really sure not to curdle the eggs, take a ladle of soup and cool it a bit before tempering the eggs.) Whisk in two more ladles of soup broth, whisking each well and letting them cool.
- Add the egg mixture to the soup pot, whisking very well. Return to very low heat, stirring the whole time. Cook carefully over low heat until the soup has thickened slightly. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley and Parmesan if desired.
Recipe adapted from The Kitchn