These Stuffed Caprese Bites are quick and easy to make, and full of fresh tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella cheese.
Caprese Bites Ingredients:
- 1 recipe pizza dough, listed below (or you can substitute 1 store-bought large unbaked pizza dough)
- 20–24 cherry or grape tomatoes
- 4 ounces mozzarella, shredded or cut into small squares as wide as your tomatoes
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoons dried oregano
- optional: marinara sauce, for dipping
Pizza Dough Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup warm water
- half a packet of yeast (1.5 tsp. or 1/8th oz.)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Italian seasonings or dried oregano
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- To Make The Caprese Bites:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a pie plate with cooking spray.
- If using canned pizza dough, use a pizza slicer to cut dough into 24 equal squares. If using homemade pizza dough, break off dough into about 24 walnut-sized pieces and then stretch each to become a 3-inch or so circle.
- Make each of the bites by slicing a tomato in two lengthwise, and then sandwiching a piece of cheese and a torn piece of basil between the tomato halves. Then gently place the little tomato sandwich in the center of the pizza dough, and wrap the dough around it to make a ball. Pinch the ends together so that they are secure, then place each ball seam-side-down in the greased pie pan. Repeat with remaining ingredients until the pan is full. Brush the tops of the little dough balls with melted butter, then sprinkle with the dried oregano.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the tops are slightly golden. Remove and serve immediately.
- To Make The Pizza Dough:
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the warm water and yeast.
- Stir in the flour, salt and Italian seasonings and mix on medium high speed on your KitchenAid stand mixer for 5 minutes. While the mixer is going, drizzle in the olive oil.
- When the dough is soft and elastic, take out of the bowl, rub with olive oil and then place back in the bowl, cover with a dish towel and let rise for one hour.
- After the dough has doubled in size, remove the dough and either use it in a recipe or freeze it.
*Recipe prep time does not include the time to prepare the dough.