Celebrate the transition from the fresh produce of summer into the warm comfort food of fall with this delicious Summer Squash & Corn Chowder recipe!
- 3 slices applewood-smoked bacon
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 pound yellow summer squash, chopped
- 1 pound frozen white and yellow baby corn kernels, thawed and divided
- 2 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan. Crumble bacon, and set aside. Add 1/2 cup onions, celery, and squash to drippings in pan; sauté 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Reserve 1 cup corn; set aside. Place the remaining corn and 1 cup milk in a blender; process until smooth. Add remaining 1 1/4 cups milk, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to blender; process just until combined. Add pureed mixture and reserved 1 cup corn to pan. Reduce heat to medium; cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated (but do not boil), stirring constantly. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon salt. Ladle about 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with about 2 tablespoons bacon, 1 tablespoon remaining onions, and 2 tablespoons cheese.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light