Sweet potato chips make the perfect crispy topping for this oven-fried chicken.
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 2 cups crushed sweet potato chips
- 8 chicken drumsticks, or 6 chicken thighs, or 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt & pepper
- cooking spray or olive oil mister
- (optional) chopped fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, then place a wire rack on top of the baking sheet for even cooking. (If you do not have a wire rack, you can just turn the chicken once halfway through baking.) Spray the wire rack with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare your dipping assembly line. In one shallow bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. In the second shallow bowl, add the crushed sweet potato chips. After that, place the prepared baking sheet with the wire rack.
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. Then dip one piece of chicken in the egg mixture until completely coated. Then let the excess egg drip off, and transfer to the sweet potato chip mixture. Press the chicken into the chips gently until the entire piece is evenly coated, then lay on the prepared baking tray. Use cooking spray or an olive oil mister to give the chicken a final light coat of oil. Bake for 40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
- Remove and serve immediately with optional garnish and dipping sauce.