Taco seasoning is the perfect topping for this taco popcorn. It’s flavorful, healthy, and even has a bit of a kick!
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- (*optional: melted butter for drizzling or nutritional yeast)
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over high heat until melted. Add popcorn kernels, and give the pan a shake so that they level out. Cover with a lid and wait until kernels have popped. (**See tips below to prevent burning).
- Once the popcorn is popped, pour it out into a serving bowl. Immediately sprinkle with taco seasoning and salt, and toss to combine. Season to taste with additional seasoning or salt if desired.
*The “skinny” version of this recipe does not call for extra butter, but if you’d like to toss the popcorn with some melted butter, go for it. A healthier (and vegan) alternative is also to toss the popcorn with nutritional yeast — my favorite.
**A good rule of thumb is to wait until there are at least 3 seconds between pops, so as not to burn the popcorn. I also like to give the pan a shake ever 15 seconds or so, in order to let the kernels fall to the bottom and the popped popcorn rise to the top, which also helps prevent burning.