Tequila Sunrise Mimosa
In honor of Cinco De Mayo happenin’ this Friday…and National Mimosa Day coming up in two weeks…I have a gorgeous new drink recipe that I’ve been wanting to share with you.
It takes literally less than a minute to whip up, it’s easy to make with either tequila or (my fave) mezcal, it’s overflowing with fresh citrusy flavors, it’s nice and bubbly for brunch, and it’s a guaranteed showstopper with all of those vibrant sunshiny colors.
Who’s ready for a Tequila Sunrise Mimosa? ☀️ ? ☀️
As you may have guessed, this one is inspired by the classic Tequila Sunrise cocktail, which is traditionally made with OJ, tequila and grenadine. But to “mimosa” it up for brunch, I’ve added in some champagne to make it nice and bubbly. And it’s still just as easy as ever!
To begin, gather your main ingredients. You’ll need:
1) Good quality OJ — I use not-from-concentrate Florida’s Natural Orange Juice, which I love because it’s made simply from oranges grown in Florida (no added sweeteners!).
2) Tequila or Mezcal — Tequila is obviously the classic choice for a sunrise cocktail. But if you love smoky drinks like me, I also totally recommend trying this one with mezcal. Delish! (Or you can also use half tequila, half mezcal.)
3) Champagne — Or any kind of bubbly will do. (Totally doesn’t have to be expensive!)
4) Grenadine — To create the “sunrise”.
5) Limes — I also like squeezing a little bit of fresh lime juice into mine, just to brighten it up and accent the tequila/mezcal.
Oh, and if you’d like a spicier cocktail, I also love infusing my tequila or mezcal with some fresh jalapeño or serrano peppers. You can let them infuse overnight. Or — for a much speedier solution — just combine everything in a mason jar and give it a good shake for 10 seconds. Instant kick!
Then, once your ingredients are all ready to go, craft those cocktails!
Begin with a squeeze of lime juice, then add an ounce of tequila, pour in champagne until the glasses are half full, pour in orange juice until the glasses are nearly full, add in a splash of grenadine, garnish with an orange or lime if you’d like…and…
These gorgeous cocktails will be yours to share and enjoy! Perfect for Cinco De Mayo, National Mimosa Day, or any day you need a little extra sunshine with brunch. (Hint hint: They would pair perfectly with my Bacon Cheddar Scones recipe, which I shared with our Brunch Club last month!) ☀️
Tequila Sunrise Mimosa (or Mezcal Sunrise Mimosa)
This Tequila Sunrise Mimosa is quick and easy to make, totally gorgeous, and so fresh and delicious!
- 1 ounce tequila or mezcal
- fresh lime wedge (optional)
- 4 ounces chilled champagne (or approximately half a glass)
- 4 ounces Florida’s Natural Orange Juice (or approximately half a glass)
- 1 splash grenadine
- optional garnishes: slice of fresh orange or lime
- Pour tequila (or mezcal) into a champagne flute. Add a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Pour in champagne until the glass is about half full, then fill the remaining glass (leaving a half inch of so of room on top) with orange juice. Add a splash of grenadine. Garnish glass, if desired.
- Serve immediately while it’s still a little bubbly…and enjoy!
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #gimmesomeoven. I'd love to see what you cook!
This post has been sponsored by Florida’s Natural® Brand Orange Juice, maker of my favorite not-from-concentrate OJ. Thank you for supporting the brands who help make this site possible!