This Three Potato Soup recipe is made with a zesty creamy broth and a sweet and savory combination of Yukon gold potatoes, red potatoes, and sweet potatoes.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 2 cups milk, warmed
- 1/2 pound red potatoes, diced
- 1/2 pound Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1/2 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup freshly-shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning (or Cajun seasoning)
- fine sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- optional toppings: thinly-sliced green onions or chives, extra shredded cheese, sour cream
- Sauté veggies. Heat butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Simmer. Add flour and sauté for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add stock and stir until combined. Add milk and potatoes, and stir until combined. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer, but is not boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft, stirring every few minutes so that the bottom of the pot does not burn.
- Season. Once the potatoes are tender, stir in the cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt (or sour cream), and Old Bay. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve. Serve warm, garnished with your desired toppings. Or, transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.