This Three Potato Soup recipe is made with three of my favorite potatoes — Yukon gold, red, and sweet — and is so creamy and comforting and delicious.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Kitchen Basics® Unsalted Vegetable Stock (or Original Chicken Stock)
- 2 cups milk, warmed
- 1/2 pound each: red potatoes + (peeled) sweet potatoes + Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese*
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning (or Cajun seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- optional toppings: thinly-sliced green onions or chives, extra shredded cheese, sour cream
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft. Stir in the garlic and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant. Sprinkle the flour on top of the onion, and stir until combined. Sauté for an additional minute to cook the flour, stirring occasionally. Then gradually pour in the stock, and stir until combined. Add in the milk and potatoes, and stir until combined. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer, but is not boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft, stirring every few minutes so that the bottom of the pot does not burn. (The smaller you dice your potatoes, the faster they will cook.)
- Once the potatoes are tender, stir in the cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt (or sour cream), Old Bay, salt, and pepper until combined. Taste, and season with additional salt or pepper if needed.
- Serve warm, garnished with your desired toppings. Or, transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.