This cozy tomato lentil curry recipe is made with the most delicious coconut curry tomato broth, it’s naturally gluten-free and vegan, plus it’s a breeze to make and always a crowd fave.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 (15-ounce) cans fire-roasted crushed tomatoes (or 1 can crushed tomatoes + 1 can diced tomatoes)
- 1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk, divided
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and finely diced (about 1 1/2 cups or 8 ounces)
- 3 cups veggie stock
- 1 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Sauté the veggies and spices: Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add cumin, coriander, ginger, turmeric and cayenne and sauté for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining ingredients. Add the tomatoes, 2/3 cup of coconut milk, sweet potato, veggie stock, lentils and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer.
- Simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain the simmer. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender.
- Season. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. (I added about 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.)
- Serve. Serve warm with rice and/or naan, drizzled with the remaining coconut milk and garnished with lots and lots of fresh cilantro.
Source: Recipe adapted from Nigella Lawson.