This tortellini soup recipe is quick and easy to make, and it’s made all the more delicious with Italian sausage, spinach and fire-roasted tomatoes.
- 1 pound ground hot Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced white onion (about 1 small white onion)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup roughly-chopped fresh basil leaves, loosely-packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 package (about 1 pound) tortellini, refrigerated or frozen (*or 1 package of dried tortellini cooked according to package instructions)
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, packed
- freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Cook the Italian sausage in a large stockpot over medium-high heat until browned, breaking the sausage up and stirring it with a long spoon while cooking. Drain off any excess grease, then transfer the sausage to a separate plate and set aside.
- Return the stockpot to the heat and add the olive oil. Add the white onion and saute for 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute, or until fragrant, stirring occasionally. Add the crushed tomatoes, stock, basil, salt, pepper, and the cooked Italian sausage to the pot, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer. Add in the tortellini and baby spinach, and let the soup continue to simmer (reducing heat to medium-low if it starts to boil) until the tortellini is cooked through, stirring occasionally. (This will take a few minutes longer if the tortellini was frozen.) Taste and season with extra salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve warm, garnished with Parmesan cheese if desired.