Love zucchini? Then you will really love this Zucchini Pizza With Roasted Garlic Sauce recipe. It’s simple, delicious and quick and easy to prepare.
- 1 medium pizza crust
- roasted garlic sauce (recipe below)
- 2 zucchini, ends trimmed, shredded and strained (see tip below)
- half an onion, diced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red peppers
- fresh basil, julienned or chopped
Roasted Garlic Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. plus a pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- one head roasted garlic
- To Make Pizza:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (or whatever temperature is specified in the instructions for your pizza crust).
- Leaving a 1″ border around the edge, spread the roasted garlic sauce so that it covers the pizza crust. Toss half of the zucchini and half of the onions on top of the sauce, so that they are evenly spread. Then cover with half of the mozzarella. Repeat with the remaining zucchini, onions and mozzarella. Then sprinkle the Parmesan and crushed red peppers on top.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove pizza and garnish with basil. Serve immediately.
- To Make Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, heat milk over medium-low heat just until barely simmering. Remove and cover with a lid.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. When foam subsides, add flour and stir until smooth. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring. Do not allow flour to color. Gradually add the warm milk, whisking to combine. Add the salt and cayenne and increase the heat to medium. Cook the mixture, whisking continuously, until the sauce comes to a boil and is thickened. Remove from heat and add 10 of the roasted garlic cloves. Use an immersion blender to blend the mixture until smooth. Or transfer it (in two batches if necessary) to a blender, and process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and cool slightly, placing a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the sauce.
To strain out some of the extra moisture in the zucchini, just wrap up the shredded zucchini in a cheesecloth or thin towel and squeeze over a sink to drain.
Roasted Garlic Sauce recipe is adapted from Emeril Lagasse.
Wow, that garlic sauce sounds amazing! Great way to use up some of the excess zucchini in my fridge!
I have recipe similar (kinda on my site)…however the zuch is the crust. Yours looks yummy too.
Oh, love. This looks so green and in the most appetizing way. This would definitely catch my eye on a pizza menu!
Instead of the homemade sauce, you could sub the new Philly Italian sauce in the tub (lazy me)
This looks great!
I made this last night and it was spectacular! Even my kids loved it, and they aren’t veggie fans. Thank you!
This was out of this world delicious. I’m making it again tonight. :) Thank you!!
We made this recipe tonight! Added some crumbled sausage on top – amazing! Perfect combination of creaminess from the garlic sauce and zucchini and bite from the cayenne and red pepper flakes. Definitely will make again!
These are some fantastic recipes I look forward to cooking using these recipes this website embeds. It all looks good quality and extremely delicious and nutritious!