This 20-Minute Chipotle Chicken Chili recipe is quick and easy to prepare, naturally gluten-free, and made with ingredients you can feel good about. Feel free to sub in whatever beans, veggies or proteins that you have on hand too!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 poblano pepper, cored and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotles in adobo, roughly chopped
- 4 cups Kitchen Basics chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 (15-ounce) cans beans, rinsed and drained (I used one pinto, one red kidney)
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional toppings: diced avocado, shredded cheese, finely-chopped red onions, chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream, etc.
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, poblano and bell pepper, and sauté for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent. Add in the garlic and chipotles in adobo, and sauté for 1 more minute, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Add in the chicken stock, chicken, beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and cumin, and stir until combined. Cover and continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce the heat to medium-low, and continue simmering for at least 5 more minutes.
- Taste, and season with a generous pinch of two of salt and pepper, as needed. Serve warm, garnished with your desired toppings.
*For maximum speediness, I recommend chopping/shredding/preparing your ingredients as you go. (For example, while the onion mixture is sautéing, chop your garlic and chipotles and shred the chicken. While the whole soup is simmering, prepare your toppings.)