These Bacon Cheddar Scones are full of big savory flavors, they’re quick and easy to make, and SO delicious!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (or white whole wheat flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of cayenne
- 10 tablespoons cold butter, diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 8 slices of thick-cut bacon, cooked and diced
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- optional egg wash: 1 egg, 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or grease with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne until combined.
- Add the diced butter to the flour mixture, and use a fork (or your hands) to cut in the butter until the mixture resembles thick, coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the cheese, chives and bacon until combined. Then pour in the buttermilk, and knead the mixture with your hands until the dough is evenly combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and use a rolling pin to roll it out until it is 1/2-inch thick. Fold the dough in half horizontally, and then fold it in half again vertically (so that there are 4 layers in there). Then roll the dough out again and roll until it is about 1/2-inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out the biscuits (re-rolling the dough when necessary), and transfer them to the prepared baking sheet.
- Optional: In a separate small bowl, whisk together the egg and water until combined. Then brush the egg wash on top of the biscuits, so that the tops will be nice and golden.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the biscuits are cooked through.
- Serve warm, with a glass of not-from-concentrate Florida’s Natural® Brand Orange Juice.