This truly is the BEST stovetop mac and cheese recipe! It only requires one pot (no extra pot to cook the pasta), it’s ready to go in about 20 minutes from start to finish, and it’s perfectly creamy and cheesy and delicious.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups water
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pound uncooked pasta (I used cavatappi)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4–5 cups (16–20 ounces) freshly-shredded* sharp cheddar cheese (I used sharp white cheddar)
- 1/2 cup freshly-shredded* Parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add flour, and stir until combined. Cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Then pour in 1 cup of the water, and stir (or whisk) until the mixture is completely smooth and begins to thicken. Gradually pour in the remaining water and milk, stirring until evenly combined.
- Stir in the pasta, salt, garlic powder, and mustard until combined. Then continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mixture just reaches a simmer. (Btw, I recommend grating your cheese while the pasta cooks to save time!) Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain the low simmer. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for about 9-10 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente. (Be careful not to overcook the pasta!)
- Remove from heat, and stir in the cheeses until melted. Taste, and season with additional salt (and black pepper, if you’d like), as needed.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!!
Instant Pot Option: If you would like to make this recipe in the Instant Pot, see my tutorial here.