These awesome Black Bean Breakfast Tacos are quick and easy to make, naturally vegetarian (and gluten-free, if you use corn tortillas), and so flavorful and delicious!
Black Bean Tacos Ingredients:
- 1 batch zesty Mexican black beans (see below)
- 1 batch scrambled eggs (see below)
- 8–10 small wheat or corn tortillas
- toppings: chopped fresh cilantro, diced red onions, diced avocado, crumbled queso fresco (or shredded Pepper Jack cheese), fresh lime wedges, and/or salsa
Zesty Black Beans Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or olive oil, or any other mild-flavored oil)
- 1 cup diced white or red onions
- 1 jalapeño, finely-diced (with seeds removed)
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- juice of 1 small lime
- salt and pepper
Scrambled Eggs Ingredients:
- 10 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- salt and pepper
To Make The Black Bean Breakfast Tacos:
- Prepare the zesty black beans and scrambled eggs. (And I recommend prepping your toppings while those cook, to save time.)
- Once all of your fillings and toppings are ready to go, fill your tortillas with a large spoonful (each) of the black bean mixture and scrambled eggs. Then sprinkle on your desired toppings. Serve immediately.
To Make The Zesty Black Beans:
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and jalapeno, and saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is cooked and soft and translucent. Stir in the garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant. Stir in the black beans, cumin and lime until completely combined. Saute for 1-2 minutes, or until the black beans are warmed through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then remove from the heat and serve.
To Make The Scrambled Eggs:
- Whisk together eggs and milk and a pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl until smooth.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-heat, and spray with cooking spray (or melt a tablespoon of butter in the bottom of the pan). Add the egg mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until the eggs are scrambled and cooked through. Remove from heat and serve.