- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon
- 1 ounce Cointreau (or Grand Marnier)
- 3/4 ounce freshly-squeezed lime juice
- optional sweetener: 1 to 2 teaspoons maple syrup (or agave nectar)
- lime wedge and coarse salt for rimming the glass
- Salt the rim (optional). Run a lime wedge (the juicy part) around the top rim of your serving glass. Fill a shallow bowl or plate with coarse salt, then dip the rim until it is covered with your desired amount of salt. Set aside.
- Make the margarita mix. Add bourbon, Cointreau, lime juice and a few ice cubes to a cocktail shaker. Shake or stir vigorously for about 10 seconds to chill. Give the mix a quick taste and stir in your desired amount of sweetener if desired.
- Serve. Fill the prepared serving glass with ice. Strain in the margarita mix, garnish as desired, serve and enjoy. Cheers!