This Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe is quick and easy to make in less than 30 minutes, lightened up a bit, yet it still just as cozy and comforting and flavorful as ever.
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 3 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces (2 cups) freshly-grated sharp cheddar cheese, plus extra for serving
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets (about 1 large head of broccoli)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- Heat butter (or oil) in a large stockpot over medium-high heat until melted. Add onion and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent. Stir in the garlic and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant. Stir in the flour and sauté for an additional 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the chicken stock until it is evenly combined. Stir in the milk and mustard until combined. Continue cooking until the soup, stirring occasionally, until it reaches a simmer. Reduce heat to medium. Add in the broccoli and cheddar, and stir until combined. Continue cooking for 2-4 more minutes, or until the broccoli reaches your desired level of tenderness.
- Serve immediately, garnished with extra shredded cheese if desired.