This Cabbage Egg Drop Soup recipe is super-easy to make in just 20 minutes, and full of the best healthy ingredients and comforting flavors that I couldn’t love more.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 small head of Napa cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- optional topping: thinly sliced green onions
- Sauté onion and garlic. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic and sauté for 1-2 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Add the cabbage and broth ingredients. Add in the stock, chopped cabbage, ground ginger, white pepper and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer.
- Simmer. Reduce heat to medium, in order to maintain the simmer. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, until the cabbage has completely softened.
- Make the egg ribbons. Remove the lid. Then, while the soup is still simmering, use one hand to continuously stir the soup round and round, creating a “whirlpool”-type motion, while you use your other hand to slowly drizzle in the whisked eggs. The eggs will cook instantly in the hot broth, creating pretty egg ribbons.
- Season. Stir in the sesame oil until completely combined. Then give the soup a taste and season with salt, as needed, plus any extra sesame oil, white pepper or ginger that you think it might need.
- Serve. Serve warm, garnished with green onions if desired.