This caesar-ish dressing (anchovy vinaigrette) recipe is quick and easy to make with just 5 main ingredients.
- 4 anchovy filets packed in oil*, drained and very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Whisk the base ingredients. Combine the chopped anchovies, lemon juice, Dijon, grated garlic, plus a few twists of freshly-cracked black pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk vigorously for 15 seconds to combine.
- Add the olive oil. While continuing to whisk the anchovy mixture vigorously with one hand, drizzle a very thin stream of olive oil into the mixture, slowly adding the remaining olive oil until the dressing is completely emulsified. Don’t rush this process or the olive oil will separate. (Alternatively, you can use a hand/immersion blender to purée all of the salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl or jar until emulsified.)
- Serve. Serve immediately or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 4 days.
Anchovy Paste: Feel free to substitute around 2 teaspoons of anchovy paste in place of whole anchovies if you prefer.
Traditional blender or food processor option: You can also use a standard-sized traditional blender or food processor to blend the dressing. But since the portion size for a single batch is so small (and may not blend well in these larger appliances), I would recommend doubling or tripling the recipe to help it blend well.