This candied walnuts recipe is lightly sweetened, easy to make, and so irresistibly delicious. See notes above for possible ingredient variations.
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups (12 ounces) raw walnut halves
- Heat oven to 300°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, sea salt, cinnamon and cayenne until combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg white and vanilla until combined. Add the walnuts and toss until they are evenly coated with the egg white mixture. Add the brown sugar mixture and toss until the walnuts are evenly coated.
- Spread the pecans out in an even layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove baking sheet from the oven, and give the walnuts a brief stir. Return to the oven and bake for 20 more minutes. Remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or store in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks.