This Cashew Tofu stir-fry is loaded up with healthy veggies, crispy tofu, roasted cashews, and tossed with a simple ginger stir-fry sauce. See notes above for possible ingredient variations.
Cashew Tofu Stir-Fry Ingredients:
- 1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1 head broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 large red bell peppers, cored and cute into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly-sliced
- 1 cup roasted cashews
- toppings: thinly-sliced green onions, toasted sesame seeds
Stir-Fry Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed or minced
- Drain the tofu. Sandwich the block of tofu between a few layers of paper towels. Then place a cutting board on top of the tofu, and stack a few heavy cans or pots or whatever you can safely balance on the cutting board. The idea is to put a lot of pressure/weight on the tofu, which will help the excess water to press out into the paper towels. Let the tofu drain for at least 15-30 minutes.
- Make the stir-fry sauce. Meanwhile, whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl (or shake them together in a mason jar) until combined.
- Coat the tofu. Once the tofu has been drained, slice the block lengthwise into 1/2-inch slabs, then cut the tofu into bite-sized pieces. Transfer the tofu to a large mixing bowl, drizzle it evenly with 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss until coated. Sprinkle the cornstarch plus a generous pinch of salt and pepper over the tofu, and toss until evenly coated.
- Cook the tofu: Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat in a large non-stick skillet. Add about half of the tofu (however much can fit in an even layer without overlapping) and sauté for about 4-5 minutes, flipping halfway through, until crispy and golden on both sides. Transfer the tofu to a separate plate and repeat with the remaining tofu.
- Sauté the veggies. Add the remaining oil to the sauté pan and add the broccoli, red pepper and red onion. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender.
- Combine everything. Add the cashews, stir-fry sauce and cooked tofu to the sauteé pan, and toss to combine. Continue cooking for 1-2 more minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve. Remove pan from heat and serve the stir-fry warm over rice, noodles or quinoa, garnished with your desired toppings.