This Chicken Florentine Grilled Cheese recipe is quick and easy to make, full of delicious Italian flavors, and overflowing with ooey gooey melted cheese.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small boneless skinless chicken breast*
- Kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- 2 slices of bread (I used sourdough)
- 3–4 Arla NaturallyGood Fontina Cheese Slices
- 2 tablespoons roughly-chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 handful fresh baby spinach**
- Heat oil in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. While the oil is heating, season the chicken with a generous pinch of salt and black pepper. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 6-8 minutes, turning once, until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink on the inside. Remove pan from heat, then transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 minutes. Then slice it into thin strips.
- While the chicken is resting, butter one side of each piece of bread.
- Place one slice (butter-side down) on your prep surface. Layer it evenly with 1-2 cheese slices, followed by the chicken slices, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, and the remaining slice of bread (butter-side up).
- Rinse out the saute pan (if needed), then return it to the stove over medium-high heat. Carefully transfer the sandwich to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes on the first side, or until the bread is toasted and the cheese starts to melt. Carefully flip the sandwich to the other side, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the bread is toasted.
- Remove from pan, slice the sandwich down the middle, and serve warm.
*For a shortcut, you could also just shred a store-bought rotisserie chicken instead of sauteing the chicken breast.
*I just used fresh (uncooked) baby spinach for my sandwich. But if you prefer sauteed spinach, you’re welcome to wilt the spinach in the saute pan after the chicken has finished cooking.