Condensed cream of mushroom soup is easy to make homemade, and you can feel better knowing what actually goes into it!
- 1 1/3 cup vegetable stock
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. celery seed (optional)
- 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
- Add vegetable stock to a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk and flour until the flour is dissolved.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the boiling vegetable stock, whisking to combine. Whisk in the mushrooms and remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to medium, and bring the mixture back to a very low boil, stirring constantly so that the bottom of the pan does not burn. Let the mixture boil for about 3 minutes or until thickened. Remove pan from heat.
- Either use the condensed soup in a recipe immediately, or transfer it to airtight containers and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- *This recipe is NOT meant to be consumed as-is. It is a concentrated soup, which means that it either needs to be diluted to be eaten as a soup, or mixed into a recipe that calls for condensed soup. :)
- *I also made a double batch for the photos.
*Recipe very slightly adapted from Tammy’s Recipes and Pinch of Yum.
(c) 2013 Gimme Some Oven. All rights reserved.