This cozy chicken curry soup is made with the most delicious creamy curry broth, and filled with tender chicken and your choice of veggies. See vegetarian/vegan and gluten-free options below.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 5 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound (uncooked) boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 1 (15-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk (or half and half)
- sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper, to taste
- Sauté the veggies. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrots and celery and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the flour. Add the flour and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add next round of ingredients. Add chicken stock, potatoes, chicken, curry powder, garam masala, and stir to combine.
- Simmer. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, in order to maintain the simmer. Continue to cook for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally so that the bottom of the soup does not burn.
- Add final round of ingredients. Stir in the peas and coconut milk until combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve. Serve warm, garnished with biscuits or crackers.
Vegetarian/vegan option: Use vegetable stock and beans (such as chickpeas or white beans) in place of the chicken.
Gluten-free option: Instead of using the flour as a roux, feel free to make a cornstarch slurry with equal parts chicken stock (or milk) and cornstarch, and add it to the simmering soup until it reaches your desired level of thickness. (I would recommend 3-4 tablespoons or cornstarch.)