This creamy lemon chicken noodle soup is made with all of the classic ingredients we all love and a cozy creamy broth that’s brightened up with lots of fresh lemon juice and thyme. So comforting and delicious!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, ends trimmed and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 8 cups good-quality chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves*, or more to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 to 4 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice, to taste
- sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- Sauté the veggies: Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrots and celery and sauté for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until the carrots are softened a bit, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer: Add chicken stock, shredded chicken, thyme, bay leaf and gently stir until combined. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer.
- Cook the noodles: Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain the simmer and stir in the egg noodles. Continue cooking, uncovered, for 7-9 minutes or until the egg noodles are al dente.
- Season. Add heavy cream and stir to combine, then add 2 tablespoons lemon juice and stir to combine. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Taste and season with any extra lemon juice, thyme, salt and pepper that you think the soup may need.
- Serve. Serve warm and enjoy!
Thyme: If you don’t have fresh thyme leaves on hand, you can sub in 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme. (Or you can also add more, to taste.) Alternately, you could also add in chopped fresh basil, to taste, instead of thyme.