This Creamy Sweet Potato and Sausage Soup recipe is made with zesty sausage, seasonal veggies and kale, tender white beans, and a creamy, garlicky, paprika-sage broth.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (or vegan sausage*)
- 1 large white onion, peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 5 leaves of fresh sage
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potato, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 large handfuls chopped fresh kale
- salt and freshly-cracked black pepper, to taste
- optional toppings: pepitas, microgreens, fried sage leaves, etc.
- Brown the sausage. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Sauté the sausage, crumbling it with a wooden spoon as it cooks, until browned. Transfer the sausage with a slotted spoon to a clean plate and set aside.
- Sauté the onion and garlic. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the stockpot. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant.
- Simmer. Add the vegetable stock, sage, carrots, sweet potato, smoked paprika, beans, half of the cooked sausage and stir until combined. Cook until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low to maintain the simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Season. Add the coconut milk and fresh kale and stir for 1-2 minutes, or until the kale begins to soften. Remove and discard the sage. Taste and season the soup with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve. Serve warm, garnished with a spoonful of the remaining crumbled sausage plus any of your desired toppings.