This creamy vegetable soup recipe is made with your choice of roasted veggies and puréed until perfectly creamy and delicious. Naturally gluten-free, vegan and so cozy!
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 1 pound), peeled and diced
- 1 yellow squash or zucchini, diced
- 1 small head of cauliflower, diced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Prep the oven. Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Roast the veggies. Add the bell pepper, sweet potato, yellow squash, cauliflower and white onion to a large sheet pan. Drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, then toss until evenly coated. Spread the veggies out in an even layer and season generously with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until softened and lightly charred.
- Simmer. About 20 minutes after the veggies have been baking, heat the remaining olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant. Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, tomatoes, white beans, cumin, smoked paprika, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a low simmer. (Then, if the veggies are not done, cover and reduce the heat to low. Otherwise, proceed.)
- Purée. Add the roasted veggies to the soup and stir to combine. Use an immersion blender to purée the soup until smooth.
- Season. Taste and season the soup with additional salt and pepper if needed. If you prefer a thinner soup, you’re also welcome to add more vegetable broth.
- Serve. Serve warm, garnished with a swirl of extra coconut milk and a twist of black pepper if desired, and enjoy!