- 1 (14-ounce) bag coleslaw mix
- 4 fresh mandarin oranges, separated into segments
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- toasted sesame seeds
Crispy Coconut-Crusted Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut*
- 3 to 4 tablespoons coconut oil
Sesame Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or olive oil, or any other mild-flavored oil)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon each: ground ginger and garlic powder
- fine sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Prep the dredging assembly line. In one shallow bowl, whisk together flour, salt, ginger and black pepper until combined. In a second shallow bowl, briefly whisk the egg. In a third shallow bowl, whisk together Panko and shredded coconut until combined.
- Bread the chicken. Dip a piece of chicken in the flour mixture until completely coated, shaking off any excess. Dip the chicken next in the whisked egg until coated, shaking off any excess. Dip the chicken finally in the Panko mixture, gently pressing as much of the mixture to the chicken as possible to help it stick. Transfer the chicken to a clean plate, then repeat this process with the remaining chicken strips.
- Pan-fry the chicken. Heat the coconut oil in a nonstick sauté pan until hot. Add however many pieces of chicken can fit in a single layer without crowding the pan. Fry for 2-3 minutes per side or until the breading is golden and the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the cooked chicken to a paper-towel-lined plate and repeat with the remaining chicken, adding extra coconut oil to the pan if needed.
- Make the vinaigrette. Meanwhile, whisk all of the vinaigrette ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl (or shake together vigorously in a sealed jar) until combined.
- Mix the salad. Combine the coleslaw mix, oranges, scallions, avocados, cilantro, almonds and cooked chicken in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle evenly with the vinaigrette and toss to combine.
- Serve. Serve immediately, garnished with toasted sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Shredded coconut: If your brand of shredded coconut has fairly large flakes, I’d recommend briefly blitzing it in the food processor (or giving it a rough chop with a chef’s knife) to help it adhere more easily to the chicken. You are also welcome to use unsweetened shredded coconut if you prefer.