- 1 1/2 ounces tequila (or mezcal)
- 1 ounce Cointreau (or your preferred orange liqueur)
- 3/4 ounce freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 1–2 sprigs of fresh mint
- optional: coarse salt for rimming the glasses, agave for sweetening, extra mint and lime wedges for garnish
- If you would like salt-rimmed glasses, begin by running a lime slice (the juicy part) around the top rim of a glass. Fill a shallow bowl with salt, and dip the rim of the glass in the salt to coat with salt. Set aside.
- Add tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, mint sprigs and a few ice cubes to a cocktail shaker. Using a cocktail muddler or the end of a wooden spoon, muddle the mint briefly. Cover and shake vigorously for 10 seconds, or until the drink is chilled. Then give it a taste, and add in extra sweetener or mint if desired.
- Fill your serving glass with ice. Pour in the margarita mixture over the rocks. Serve immediately, garnished with an extra lime wedge and/or sprig of mint if desired.