This Garlic Parmesan Mashed Sweet Potatoes recipe is easy to make, irresistibly sweet and savory, and sooo good.
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- fine sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 3/4 cup milk, warmed
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 ounce freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Boil the potatoes. Add the sweet potatoes and 1 tablespoon fine sea salt to a large stock pot. Fill the pot with enough cold water so that the water line sits about 1 inch above the potatoes. Cook on high heat until the water comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium (or whatever temperature is needed to maintain the boil) and continue boiling the potatoes for about 10 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle of a potato goes in easily with almost no resistance. Drain the potatoes completely with a strainer and return them to the stockpot.
- Make the garlic butter. Meanwhile, while the potatoes are cooking, heat the butter in a separate small sauté pan over medium heat until melted. Add the garlic and a few twists of freshly-ground black pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is fragrant and very lightly golden. Pour the garlic butter into a heat-safe bowl and reserve until ready to use later. (Be sure not to overcook the garlic since it will continue to cook slightly more in the hot butter as it sits.)
- Mash the potatoes. Using your preferred kind of potato masher (I recommend this one in general, or this one for extra-smooth), mash the potatoes to your desired consistency.
- Stir everything together. Add the garlic butter, warm milk, sour cream, Parmesan and chives to the potatoes and stir until evenly combined, taking care not to overmix the potatoes.
- Season. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed. If the potatoes seem too dry, you’re welcome to also add in more milk or sour cream.
- Serve. Serve warm, garnished with extra Parmesan, and enjoy!