My favorite recipe for classic homemade hot chocolate.
- 4 cups plain milk (dairy or plant-based)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- optional toppings: whipped cream, marshmallows or chocolate shavings
- Heat. Combine the milk, cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla and sea salt in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until the mixture almost reaches a simmer. (We want it to be steaming, but avoid coming to a boil.)
- Add the chocolate chips. Add in the chocolate chips and whisk until they are melted and evenly combined.
- Serve. Remove from heat. Serve warm, garnished with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!