This classic hot toddy recipe is easy to make in just 5 minutes with hot water, whiskey, lemon and honey. Feel free to use your favorite type of whiskey, plus any additional add-ins or garnishes that you enjoy. (See notes above for more ideas.)
- 1/2 cup boiling water*
- 1 inch fresh ginger, thinly sliced (optional*)
- 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 to 3 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) whiskey
- optional garnishes: cinnamon stick, star anise, whole cloves, lemon slice/peel, or fresh ginger slice
- Brew the ginger tea (optional): Pour boiling water into a separate mug or measuring glass and stir in the fresh ginger slices. Steep for 5 minutes, then strain out the ginger slices. (If you do not want to use ginger, just skip this step completely.)
- Heat the serving mug. While the fresh ginger tea is steeping, pour some extra hot water into the mug you are going to use for the hot toddy and let it rest for 1 minute to warm up the mug, then pour out and discard the water.
- Mix the hot toddy. Add the lemon juice and honey to the hot mug, pour in the ginger tea, and stir together until the honey is completely melted. Add the whiskey and briefly stir to combine. Taste and add extra honey if you would like a sweeter drink.
- Serve. Serve hot, topped with any of your desired garnishes, and enjoy!
Hot water: Traditional hot toddy recipes call for a range of anywhere from 1/4 cup to 1 cup of hot water. So please feel free to experiment with whatever quantity of water tastes best to you.
Ginger: Feel free to omit the ginger if you prefer. Or alternately, you are welcome to steep any other flavor of tea in place of the ginger tea.