My favorite method for how to cook farro! See notes above for various seasoning options, plus my favorite farro recipes.
- Bring water to boil. Heat the water over high heat in a saucepan until it is boiling.
- Simmer the farro. Add the farro, salt (plus any optional aromatics, see below) and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium to maintain a vigorous simmer. Cook the farro until it is chewy and tender — approximately 15 to 20 minutes for pearled farro, 25 to 30 minutes for semi-pearled farro, or 35 to 40 minutes for whole farro.
- Drain the farro. Drain the farro completely through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Fluff and season the farro. Fluff the farro with a fork. Taste, and season with extra salt if needed.
- Serve warm. Serve and enjoy!