Learn how to make perfectly poached eggs with this easy recipe and video tutorial.
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (preferably a mild-flavored vinegar like rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
- salt and pepper
- Crack the egg into a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add enough water to a small saucepan until it is 1-2 inches deep. Stir in the vinegar.
- Bring the water to a simmer. Then use a spoon to swirl the water round and round until it forms a “whirlpool”. (See video for a visual.) Gently lower the egg into the swirling water, and watch as the water wraps the whites around the yolk.
- Simmer the egg for 3-4 minutes total, depending on how firm you’d like the egg whites.
- Remove egg with a slotted spoon, trimming off the uneven edges if you’d like (optional).
- Serve immediately, seasoned with a pinch of salt and pepper.