This hearty Italian Lentil Soup recipe is easy to make, naturally gluten-free, and full of the best Italian flavors!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups green or brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 (28-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chopped kale or collard greens
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, plus extra for topping
- fine sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, for topping
- Sauté veggies. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, and sauté for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent. Add garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broth, lentils and seasonings. Add the stock, lentils, tomatoes, bay leaves, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer.
- Simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender and cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Add the greens and season. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Stir in the kale and basil until combined. Taste and season with salt, black pepper, and/or extra Italian seasoning as needed.
- Serve. Serve warm, garnished with lots of Parmesan cheese and extra basil. Enjoy!