A quick and easy pasta dish that’s packed with the great flavors of Italian sausage, kale, orzo, and delicious tomatoes!
- 8 oz. (half pound) Italian sausage
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 8 oz. orzo
- 4–6 large tomatoes, cored and hollowed out
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts (for garnish)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (for garnish)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add Italian sausage and cook until browned, crumbling while it cooks. Remove cooked sausage from pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan, and cook in the sausage grease for 5 minutes until the onion is cooked and translucent. Add the kale and chicken broth. Cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes until the kale is wilted and cooked. Reduce heat to low and add in the heavy cream (or half and half) and the cooked sausage. Stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, cook the orzo in a large pot of boiling, generously-salted water according to package instructions. When cooked, use a slotted spoon to add the orzo plus a half cup of reserved pasta water to the sausage and kale mixture. Stir until combined, then remove from heat. Spoon the pasta into the hollowed-out tomatoes and garnish with toasted pine nuts and Parmesan cheese.
Feel free to chop up some of the tomato that you removed and add it to the pasta for even more tomato goodness!