Rosemary and lemon provide a delicious twist to these buttery shortbread cookies.
Lemon Rosemary Shortbread Cookie Ingredients:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Lemon Glaze Ingredients:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4–6 tsp. fresh lemon juice
To Make The Cookies:
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla and almond extract, mix until blended. Add the rosemary, lemon zest salt and flour and mix well.
- Divide dough in half. Place one piece of dough on a large piece of plastic wrap; cover with a second piece of plastic wrap and roll out dough between plastic wrap to 1/4-inch thickness. Place on a baking sheet and transfer to refrigerator and chill until firm, about 45 minutes. Repeat process with remaining dough.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, and use cookie cutters to cut out your desired shapes. Place each on a parchment-covered baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges just start to slightly brown. Remove and let cool for 1 minute, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
To Make The Glaze:
- Whisk powdered sugar and 4 tsp. lemon juice together until well mixed. Add more lemon juice to thin out the glaze if desired.