Learn how to make perfectly soft-boiled eggs with this easy recipe and step-by-step video tutorial!
- 1 egg (refrigerator temperature)
- Fill a saucepan with about 3 inches of water. Heat over medium-high heat until the water reaches a rapid simmer. Reduce heat to medium (or medium-low) to maintain the simmer.
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully lower the egg(s) into the water.
- Simmer for 5-7 minutes, depending on how runny you would like the yolk(s). (5 minutes for a super-runny yolk, 7 minutes for a firmer-yet-still-soft yolk, adding an extra 20 seconds if you have more than 3 eggs in the pan.)
- Remove the egg(s) with a slotted spoon. Place in an ice bath or run under cold water for 1 minute.
- Peel and serve immediately while the egg is still nice and warm.