A delicious recipe for classic risotto from Jenna Weber of “Eat, Live, Run”.
- 4 to 4.5 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 16 oz. sliced cremini or baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the chicken stock in a small saucepan and keep warm over low heat. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottom pot over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the shallot and saute for about 4 minutes, or until tender and translucent. Add the rice and stir well to coat. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the white wine and cook until all is absorbed, stirring constantly.
- Continue to cook the rice, adding the chicken stock, 1/4 cup at a time (a ladle does this job nicely), stirring continuously over medium heat until the stock has been completely absorbed by the rice. Do not add more stock until the previous amount has been completely absorbed by the rice. Once all the stock has been incorporated, continue to cook until the rice is just cooked through.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter and saute the mushrooms until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the cooked mushrooms and cheese to the risotto, stirring until combined, and serve.
Reprinted with permission from White Jacket Required: A Culinary Coming-of-Age Story © 2012 by Jenna Weber, Sterling Epicure, an imprint of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.