This vegetarian Mushroom Stroganoff recipe is quick and easy to make in about 30 minutes, and it is perfectly comforting, hearty, savory, and delicious. Feel free to serve over egg noodles, traditional pasta, quinoa, veggies, or whatever sounds delicious.
- 1 pound wide egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms*
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1.5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (here is a vegetarian brand)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 3 small sprigs of fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or light sour cream
- Kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- optional toppings: freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, chopped fresh parsley, extra black pepper
- Cook egg noodles al dente in boiling, generously-salted water according to package instructions. (For optimal timing, I recommend actually adding the egg noodles to the boiling water at the same time that the vegetable stock is added to the stroganoff.)
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, garlic and mushrooms, and stir to combine. Continue sautéing for an additional 5-7 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked and tender. Add the white wine, and deglaze the pan by using a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Let the sauce simmer for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable stock, Worcestershire and flour until smooth. Pour the vegetable stock mixture into the pan, along with the thyme, and stir to combine. Let the mixture simmer for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. Then, stir in the Greek yogurt (or sour cream) evenly into the sauce. Taste, and season with a generous pinch of two of salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve immediately over the egg noodles, garnished with your desired toppings.
*Feel free to use whatever mushrooms you have available. A mixture of your faves would be great!