This one pot creamy sun-dried tomato pasta recipe is easy to make with the most delicious garlic-basil cream sauce.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, thinly sliced into bite-sized pieces
- fine sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) jar sun-dried tomatoes in oil, roughly chopped (save the oil!)
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups vegetable broth*
- 8 ounces small pasta shape (such as gnocchetti sardi or orzo)
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- freshly-grated Parmesan
- Cook the chicken. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until evenly cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a clean plate and set aside.
- Sauté the veggies. Add 1 more tablespoon of the sun-dried tomato oil to the sauté pan. Add the onion and mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are browned. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Simmer. Add 3 ½ cups of the vegetable broth, pasta, sun-dried tomatoes and stir to combine. Continue cooking, stirring more frequently as the pasta continues to cook and soak up the broth, until the pasta is 1 minute shy of al dente. If the pasta seems to need more broth to finish cooking, you’re welcome to add a ½ cup extra (or more) as needed.
- Finish. Stir in the spinach, basil, heavy cream and cooked chicken until the spinach is wilted and the pasta is al dente.
- Serve. Serve immediately, garnished with lots of fresh Parmesan, and enjoy!