This homemade sun-dried tomatoes recipe is super easy to make in the oven and irresistibly delicious!
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes*
- fine sea salt
- Heat oven to 250°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise. Place them cut-side-up on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 2.5 to 3.5 hours, or until the tomatoes are dried out, keeping an eye on the tomatoes so that they don’t burn.
- Remove from the oven. Serve immediately. Or to store, transfer the sun-dried tomatoes to a jar and fill with olive oil until the tomatoes are completely covered. Add in any desired seasonings (such as a clove of garlic and/or herbs), then cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Types of tomatoes: Roma tomatoes also work great too! Just cut them in half lengthwise, then hollow out and discard the pulp, then proceed with the recipe as directed above. Because of their size, roma tomatoes will need to bake for around 5-6 hours.
Amount of tomatoes: 1 pint is just a suggestion here. Feel free to make as large or small a batch as you prefer.
Freezer instructions: Spread the sun-dried tomatoes out in an even layer on a parchment-covered baking sheet or plate. Then transfer to the freezer for at least 2 hours, or until the tomatoes are frozen. Remove and transfer the tomatoes to a freezer-safe bag, squeeze out any extra air, then freeze for up to 3 months.