This quick pickled red onions recipe is easy to make in just 30 minutes with just 4 main ingredients! See notes above for extra seasonings that you are welcome to add in too.
- 1 large red onion*, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1–2 tablespoons sweetener (such as maple syrup, honey, sugar, etc.)
- In a small saucepan*, stir together the vinegar, salt and your desired amount of sweetener. Cook over medium-high heat until the mixture reaches a simmer.
- Place the thinly-sliced onions in a small bowl or pint-sized mason jar. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onions. Stir until combined. (Or if using a mason jar, place the lid on top and give the jar a quick shake.) Let the onions marinate for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks.
*Onions: Or two small red onions.
*Microwave option: Feel free to also heat the vinegar mixture in the microwave until it reaches a simmer. Then add it to the onions, as directed.