This Roasted Cauliflower, Chickpea and Arugula Salad is a fresh and feel-good salad that’s bound to be a hit, especially when tossed with my favorite “Dreamy” Tahini Dressing. Deeeelish. (P.S. Don’t be scared by the long list of ingredients — this recipe flies by quickly!)
- 1 batch roasted cauliflower and chickpeas (see below)
- 4 large handfuls baby arugula
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 batch Dreamy Tahini Dressing
- optional: extra lemon slices/wedges for serving
Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpeas Ingredients:
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (a.k.a. garbanzo beans)
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin + garlic powder + smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper (or more/less to taste*)
- Kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
Dreamy Tahini Dressing:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- 2–4 tablespoons warm water
To Make The Salad:
- Prepare the Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpeas as directed below. Then to save time, prep the remaining ingredients while they are roasting in the oven.
- Once the cauliflower and chickpeas are ready to go, spread the arugula out evenly on your serving platter or bowl. Top with the cauliflower, chickpeas, avocado, red onion, and pine nuts. Then drizzle everything evenly with the dressing.
- Serve immediately, garnished with extra lemon slices/wedges if desired.
To Make The Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpeas:
- Heat oven to 425°F. Prepare the baking sheet with aluminum foil, if desired.
- Spread the cauliflower out on the baking sheet, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Toss to combine until the cauliflower is evenly coated. Then spread the cauliflower out evenly on the baking sheet, and set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, toss together the chickpeas, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, cayenne, and remaining 1 tablespoon of oil until evenly combined. Sprinkle the chickpea mixture on top of the cauliflower, and give the pan a good shake so that everything forms one single layer. Season evenly with a few generous pinches of salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cauliflower turns slightly charred around the edges. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack until ready to use.
To Make The Dreamy Tahini Dressing:
- Whisk together the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, maple syrup, plus a generous pinch each of salt and pepper in a bowl until smooth. Stir in 2 tablespoons of water until combined, then add an extra tablespoon of water if needed to thin. Taste, and season with extra salt and pepper if desired. Refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days, or use immediately.
*I really love making the chickpeas significantly spicy in this recipe, so I use about 1/4 teaspoon cayenne. But you’re welcome to use less, or omit it entirely if you would prefer the chickpeas to be mild.
**If you’re a cheese lover, this would also be yummy with some crumbled feta sprinkled on top.