This Smoked Sausage, Apple and Potato Soup recipe is easy to make and simmered in the yummiest zesty, creamy broth.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 14 ounces smoked sausage, sliced into rounds
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 Granny smith apple, cored and diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper, to taste
- Brown the sausage. Heat one tablespoon oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Transfer the sausage to a clean plate and set aside.
- Sauté the veggies. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the carrots, celery and garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Simmer. Add the stock, coconut milk, potatoes, apple, Old Bay, bay leaves, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low to maintain the simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are completely tender.
- Season. Stir in the cooked sausage and remove and discard the bay leaves. Then give the soup a taste and season with salt, pepper, and/or extra Old Bay as needed.
- Serve. Serve warm, garnished with an extra twist of black pepper if desired.