This Chinese-inspired sticky honey lemon chicken recipe is easy to make and tossed with an irresistibly sweet and savory stir-fry sauce.
Chicken Stir-Fry Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into thin bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated or minced fresh ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves, grated or minced
- garnishes: thinly-sliced scallions and toasted sesame seeds
Honey Lemon Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced (1/4 cup juice)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- Mix the lemon sauce. Whisk all of the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl until combined.
- Coat the chicken. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the soy sauce and egg in a small bowl until smooth. Add the chicken and toss thoroughly until coated. Place the cornstarch in a bowl. Then dip the chicken pieces in the cornstarch, working a few pieces at a time and tossing until coated on all sides, until all of the chicken has been coated.
- Sauté the chicken. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken – cooking it in two batches if needed to avoid overcrowding the pan – and fry for 3 to 5 minutes until golden and crispy on all sides and cooked through. Transfer the cooked chicken to a clean plate.
- Cook the sauce. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan along with the garlic and ginger. Sauté for 30 to 60 seconds, stirring frequently, until the garlic is lightly golden. Then pour in the lemon sauce and add the chicken. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens and turns into a sticky coating for the chicken.
- Serve. Remove from heat and serve immediately, garnished with scallions and toasted sesame seeds.