This Sunshine Citrus Avocado Salad recipe is super-refreshing and light and delicious, especially thanks to the addition of lots and lots of fresh herbs. See notes above for possible ingredient add-ins and substitutions!
- 1 5-ounce bag mixed greens
- 2 large ruby-red grapefruits (or oranges or mangoes), peeled and chopped
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- half of a medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- optional topping: toasted sesame seeds
Sesame Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or olive oil, or any other mild-flavored oil)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce*
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1–2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon each: ground ginger and garlic powder
- sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper, to taste
- To Make The Vinaigrette: Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl (or shake together in a mason jar) until combined. Taste and add additional sweetener if desired. Use immediately or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
- To Make The Salad: Combine all ingredients in a large salad bowl, drizzle evenly with the vinaigrette, and toss until evenly combined. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds plus an extra twist of freshly-cracked black pepper. Serve immediately and enjoy!